Decorex Johannesburg

The month of August marks a few significant events. It is the month when OppiKoppi and Decorex Johannesburg takes place; it is also Women’s Day on the 9th. Funnily enough all three these events tend to happen in the same week and in this year’s case all three were on the same weekend. Although I did not attend OppiKoppi, or the celebrations at the Union Buildings for Woman’s Day, I did attend Decorex.

For anybody that is in a design field, Decorex is an event that is a must-see every year. Mostly it is a tradeshow for interiors; the information gathered on design trends and colour schemes is always useful. One can also network and mingle with other designers and find useful contacts and suppliers. Another very significant part of this year’s show was the 100% Design, a showcase of new ideas and fresh cutting-edge design. The public could also attend talks by the artists and designers taking part.

As a crafter I always head for, well, the craft section. Floorboards, kitchen appliances and shower heads are things that I will pay attention to when I grow up and have my own house to renovate. The Department of Trade and Industry sponsors selected crafters from each of the nine provinces in South Africa to exhibit their work, giving them a good platform to market their work, which is often connected with a community project. Seeing the amazing contemporary crafts that these artists produce is awe inspiring, yet the crafts never lose their South African flair.

Apart from this section and that as a crafter it is always both refreshing and relaxing to see other artists and designers excel at their craft I had another motive for going. I went to see my own work on display. Earlier this year I was given the opportunity by Marileen van Wyk to send scatter pillows to Decorex with her company, The Glass Forming Academy. It might seem a bit strange; obviously the scatter pillows are not glass. They are in fact pure cotton that I dye, embellish and sew by hand. Along with my dyed work, there was ceramic pieces, printed canvases and an array of quaint glass beads, key rings and teaspoons.

 Negative heart pillow by Clara Jansen
 Black Geometric pillow by Clara Jansen
 Purple split pillow by Clara Jansen


Not knowing what to expect in terms of feedback from Decorex I am quite nervous to hear how it went. When I visited there was not really time to talk. I am truly grateful for the opportunity given to me and fellow designers and artist by the Glass Forming Academy to be able to showcase our products at Decorex. Please visit their website www.glassforming.co.za.

Peace and love

Clara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


blogger template by lovebird