Dying to colour wool

I love yarn, I spend way to much money on it and find myself obsessing about spinning and weaving, both crafts I do not yet do. A while back, I wanted to learn how to dye yarn but my access to dying yarn and knowing what I was doing is limited. After a lot of research I figured it out.


Clara aka the Ginger will be able to tell you all the fancy names of the dye processes, she mentioned them over coffee today and I completely forget what she called it. I think cause we were both so tired, printing is hard work.

So what you need:


  • 1 Ball pure wool yarn
  • 1 cup of Vinegar
  • 1l of water 
  • Gel food colouring
  • Container

Steps:

  1. Soak the wool overnight in a container, in the mix of vinegar and water. please note in this I soaked the entire ball after unwinding it and tying it into a large loop.
  2. Carefully lift the wool out of the container and add a few drops of the food colouring to the vinegar water, intensene as desired, the more colour the darker the wool. 
  3. Put the mixture in the sun for a few hours or a warmish place. 
  4. Carefully remove the wool from the container, and rinse it clean. 
  5. leave to dry, in order to dry it faster, I wrapped it around the back of a chair and put the chair in the sun. 

For the ombre effect, I put more food colouring in with every ball and added darker colouring as well. The exposure to the food colouring if you used enough viniger, results in the dye being picked up fairly fast by the wool. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


blogger template by lovebird