Busy (fashion) week

My apologies for being so quiet the past week, but it was one of those weeks that had me running up and down every single day. Not that I am complaining, it was a great week. Some of the interesting events included a meeting with the SABS on craft standards, finally visiting Karoo Café, Fashion Week Pop Up shop, meetings with the designers for our fashion show and the Spar Women’s race.

So here I sit with my stiff legs from the race and think back on what I saw at Fashion Week Designer Pop Up shops at Brooklyn mall. What struck me most is that most of the designers that were showcasing and selling their work have been in business for eight years or less and the amount of talent in such a small space was astounding. Some of the more seasoned designers at the event were Clive Rundle, Albertus Swanepoel and Black Coffee. Some of my favourites, however, included YOUMEWE, Hannah and Jane Sews. If only my shopaholic budget allowed buying an item from every label, luckily I did not walk away empty handed.



Now I have a good idea of what to expect this coming summer in terms of trends. The most obvious of the new trends is the new colour palette; pastel colours. Not my favourite, but black, grey and white featured enough to not make me lose hope.

The second trend in terms of fabric was that prints are making a comeback and the popular dyed effects are taking the backseat.  The popularity of digital fabric printing is on the increase. What is so spectacular with digital printing is that it breaks away from the flat colours that one is used to with printed fabrics and gives a more realistic and dimensional look. The reason for this is that with digital printing there is no limitation on the amount of colours that can be used. Another print that was very popular was bold African inspired prints in bright colours, a contrast to the pastels that made their appearance.



Thirdly; high waist skirts are very popular. The prints and colours are varied and the lengths are from knee-length to long and come in many different types of fabric. The thing that really awoke my inner-child was that I saw Tule used for skirts in more than one collection. Now I cannot wait to buy myself another tutu, but this one will be fashionable and not just me running around looking like a fairy.

Today is officially the first day of spring and I will be wearing flowers in my hair and stocking piling anti-histamines. Let’s hope the rain will be here soon.

Wishing all our readers a wonderful week.
Peace and love

Clara

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


blogger template by lovebird